What is the grant amount?

For 2021, the grant amount is $100,896.  This amount is typically increased on the 1st of October each year.


Who qualifies for the SAH grant?

The Specially Adapted Housing Grant is available to veterans or service members who are entitled to compensation for permanent and total service-connected disability due to:

a. The loss, or loss of use, of both lower extremities such as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

b. Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss or loss of use of one lower extremity.

c. The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity together with (1) residuals of organic disease or injury, or (2) the loss or loss of use of one upper extremity. Item (1) and Item (2) above must so affect the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude locomotion without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair.

d. The loss, or loss of use, of both upper extremities, so as to preclude use of the arms at or above the elbows.

e. The permanent and total disability is due to a severe burn injury (as so determined).


  • SAH grant for Veterans diagnosed with ALS - Thanks to the efforts of The ALS Association, key members of Congress, advocates and the Department of Veterans Affairs, ALS has been listed as a disease entitled to presumptive service connection. This means that if a service member is diagnosed with ALS his or her condition will be presumed to have occurred during or been aggravated by military service and as such be entitled to service connection and full benefits. Many veterans with ALS will qualify for the SAH grant.


How do I apply for an SAH Grant?

  • The SAH grant will typically be considered at the time of the Veteran’s VA Disability Rating Decision & is subject to review and revision
  • Alternatively, veterans can apply by submitting an application as described in the link below



Do I have to use the full grant all at once?

No.  There is no deadline or timeline for when the grant must be used.  It can be used up to 3 times but is subject to the maximum SAH grant amount.


What if I don’t use all of my grant money?

If you don’t use all of your grant on your 1st use, the funds will be available for future use.  Alternatively, you can choose to have the proceeds applied to pay down your mortgage on your adapted home.


Do I have to meet all of the MPR’s in order to receive the grant?

Generally, yes.  All the of Minimum Property Requirements must be met in order to receive the SAH grant funding.  Although not typical, there may be an exception, or waiver, granted for some of these MPR’s.


What type of remodeling will the grant pay for?

The SAH grant funds must be used to adapt your home in a way that meets the grant MPR’s.  If there is money left over after the MPR’s are satisfied, the funds can generally be used to do anything to the home that will help you more easily access your home.  The specific determination as to what is allowed will be made by your Specially Adapted Housing agent.


Do I have to own my home to get this grant?

Yes.  There are other grants available that can help modify your living environment for veterans who do not own their home.

How may the grant be used? 

A. An eligible veteran or servicemember has the option to use up to the full amount of the grant under any one of the following plans:

  • Plan (1) The veteran or servicemember may elect to construct a home on land to be acquired for that purpose.
  • Plan (2) The veteran or servicemember may build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing.
  • Plan (3) The veteran or servicemember may remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing.
  • Plan (4) When the veteran or servicemember has already acquired a specially adapted home (without the assistance of a VA grant), the grant may be applied against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of the home.

B.  A temporary grant (TRA) may be available to veterans and service members who are/will be temporarily residing in a home owned by a family member. This assistance, up to $14,000, may be used to adapt the family member’s home to meet the veteran or servicemembers special needs at that time. However, this amount is not subject to annual adjustments based on the cost-of-construction index, nor are they subject to the suitability and financial requirements noted in questions 4(b) and (c). The TRA grant program is a pilot program and is scheduled to end on December 31, 2011.


How long will my SAH project this take?

SAH Flow Chart

Should I leave my home during the remodeling process?

This is up to you.  Some Veterans choose to temporarily relocate during the remodeling process, but most remain in their home.